It was while searching for a 50s Eames chair that Lionel Obadia had the idea of creating Design Market, an online marketplace that gathers vintage design pieces of furniture from galleries across Europe.
Launched in 2014, Design Market is the largest marketplace dedicated to vintage design. The online service sources a vast selection of iconic 50s to 70s design pieces sourced worldwide and culminates all in one place. Each unique piece is appraised and authenticated by professionals, and constantly renewed due to its network of galleries and specialist antique shops. The website offers the largest catalogue of 20th century designer furniture available on the internet today.
From a range of sofas, chairs, lamps, desks, cabinets, decorative accessories, the Design Market client can find pieces of furniture from leading 20th century designers such as Charles Eames, Arne Jacobsen, Eero Saarinen, Le Corbusier, Charlotte Perriand, Hans Wegner, Marco Zanuso, Pierre Guariche, Jean Prouvé, to name a few.
After studying engineering at the University of Versailles, Lionel Obadia’s career includes fifteen years in technological innovation for International companies including Orange, Canal+ and Mercedes-Benz.
Born in Versailles, David Mimouni has a Master’s degree in business and professional work experience as a Sales Director for different companies in France. The two senior executives decided to abandon their comfortable and routine positions in 2014 to turn their passion for design into a leading entrepreneurial venture.
Innovative for its unique offerings, Design Market also sets itself apart by having an original and extremely secure trust framework, guaranteeing secured purchases of quality pieces of furniture:
Authentication of pieces for sale (the first marketplace to offer pieces authenticated by professional experts through its exclusive partnership with the Compagnie des Experts Français en Antiquités (CEFA))
– Secure online payment
– Delivery to your door with specialist carriers
– Dedicated customer service by phone, chat and email
HOW IT WORKS
Suppliers: Design Market only offers pieces from professional dealers (galleries, antique shops, etc.), a first guarantee regarding the origin of the pieces.
The Site: An internal team is dedicated to the authentication of pieces offered by the sellers.
The Experts: A committee of professional experts specialising in 20th century design (from CEFA, CECOA, etc.) is in charge of authenticating pieces. In addition, the buyers can opt for a Certificate of Authenticity (optional extra).
The Buyer: Finally, buyers always have a money-back guarantee option, which allows them to return the purchased pieces for any reason whatsoever.
DESIGN MARKET FACT SHEET
– Each piece is categorised by function and is the subject of a detailed description, with era, condition, producer, designer, etc.
– For each request, a Design Market advisor answers all questions directly and individually by phone, chat or email.
– The pieces purchased can be delivered to anywhere in the world.
– Online payments are fully secure.
– The furniture pieces are systematically certified by professional experts and a certificate of authenticity is optionally available.
– Payments are kept for 14 days after delivery, before paying the dealer, in order to offer buyers a money back guarantee in case of dissatisfaction.