Many great stories have been written about the beautiful Dubrovnik – since the historic City of Liberty inspires both travel writers and lovers of cultural and artistic treasures again and again.
In this article, discover more about this charming Croatian city that is at the top of the travel destinations in the world. Enjoy the sights of natural beauty, historical architecture, and contemporary delights that’ll welcome you to the City (as Dubrovnik is called by the locals).
When in Dubrovnik, Archi-living.com suggests that you:
- Tour the Picturesque Sights of This Beautiful Croatian City
- Get an Insight into Dubrovnik’s Rich History
- Enjoy One of the Best Travel Destinations Worldwide – for Business and Pleasure
Tour the Picturesque Sights of This Beautiful Croatian City
A walk along its strong city walls, narrow streets, and famous Stradun reveals the historical beauty of Dubrovnik and invites you to tour the picturesque sights that motivated novelists and moviemakers alike. If these scenes somehow look familiar to you, the reason for that might be that you’ve seen them in movies or TV series. Many screen stories have been filmed in this famous Croatian city.
Discover top tourist attractions in Dubrovnik:
- The 1940-meter-long Dubrovnik city walls strongly hug this historic city. Stone walls, five forts (Minčeta, Bokar or Zvjezdan, St. John, Lovrijenac, and Revelin), and sixteen towers and bastions were the strongholds of the defense of the Dubrovnik Republic. Today – this top architectural landmark is among the most famous fortification complexes in Europe.
All year long, the magnificent walls tell the tales to visitors from around the world. By going for a walk along the Dubrovnik city walls, you’ll discover some of the best views of this beautiful Croatian city.
- After entering the Old City of Dubrovnik through the Pile gate, you’ll arrive at the main street called Placa or Stradun. This beloved promenade and the meeting place is the historical center of festivities and processions, as well as the focal point of shopping and enjoying the leisurely cafe lifestyle.
While strolling through Stradun, make sure to get acquainted with all the architectural and artistic stories that you’ll encounter on this widest and most famous street in Dubrovnik.
- In addition to the already mentioned Stradun, another famous location is the Lovrijenac Fort, where stories become reality in scenes from numerous theater plays. In recent times Lovrijenac is renowned as one of the Dubrovnik Summer Festival’s open-air theater stages – especially well-known for the performance of works by William Shakespeare. “To be or not to be?” asked Shakespeare. When it comes to Dubrovnik, the right answer is always – to be (here).
When entering this fortified symbol of Dubrovnik’s freedom, have a look at the inscription above the entrance. Translated from Latin, the inscription wisely says: “Freedom is not sold for all the gold in the world.”
The Island of Love in the Vicinity of Dubrovnik
- If you are looking for a destination for a romantic trip or a dreamy destination wedding venue – meet the Island of Lokrum, also known as the Island of Love. Soak in the beauty of the natural scenery and welcome the love.
Get an Insight into Dubrovnik’s Rich History
The story of Dubrovnik started with the long history of the independent City known, among other things, for being proficient in nurturing diplomacy and knowledge. Nowadays, the story continues with a contemporary city that celebrates its rich heritage and skillfully intertwines it with current trends and events.
You can get an insight into at least a part of Dubrovnik’s rich history through the centuries by visiting the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cathedral, the Cathedral Treasury, Rector’s Palace, the Cultural History Museum, the Dominican Monastery Museum, the Franciscan Monastery Museum, Franciscan Pharmacy, the Rupe Ethnographic Museum, the Maritime Museum, Love Story Museum…
Find out more about the cultural heritage of the city under UNESCO protection (Dubrovnik is a UNESCO World Heritage site since the year 1979), about the works of art and creativity of Dubrovnik masters, and about famous scientists like Ruđer Bošković.
Get to know the fascinating story about the Dubrovnik Republic and the protection of freedom and independence during turbulent historical times, about the glory of the City that will certainly inspire you.
Enjoy One of the Best Travel Destinations Worldwide – for Business and Pleasure
Tourism and hospitality are among the main business activities in this trendy Croatian city. For many years, Dubrovnik has been one of the best travel destinations worldwide – for both business visitors and leisure travelers.
Modern hotels and restaurants welcome many tourists who have arrived in the city with the desire to visit music, film, and theater events or to attend business events such as conventions, and congresses; leisure travelers who wish to relax at beaches or in wellness centers and enjoy imaginative cocktails and culinary delicacies.
Dubrovnik is often called one of the world’s most romantic destinations. Along with beautiful scenery and sunsets, the third ingredient of romance is certainly gastronomy.
Traditional dishes of this area will bring you closer to the lifestyle of the City. Among the delicious desserts, let’s mention “arancini”, dried figs, as well as homemade liqueurs made from, for example, cherries. Enjoy them in the open air – on lovely terraces while listening to the music.
All in all, Dubrovnik is a travel destination for all times. Welcome to the City! 🙂